Friday, April 29

Roller Coaster


On Monday, we visited the Spanish Consulate for several hours. In Chicago, the consulate said Kerry's papers were in order, but since I didn't have one thing (which they told our bosses in Spain I didn't need) my visa would not allow me to do missions work OR I had to get two more papers from Spain because I'm now under the new rules and Kerry is under the old rules. And by the way, my visa was going to take 6 weeks to 3 months and his would only take 2-3 weeks.

It looked like Kerry was going to have to go to Spain without me, since he will only have a certain number of days to enter the country when he gets his visa. We were having headquarters call our boss in Spain and him call our cell phone as we're standing on a street corner in Chicago. We weren't in tears or anything, but it felt almost like starting over on the paperwork since it takes so long to get stuff from Spain. It was looking like we wouldn't leave for months. Really paralyzing. While we don't want to say goodbye to everyone, it's simply time to get going.

We spent two very shocked and shaken days. Then yesterday we got another call from Spain. Our area director (the next boss up in line) said we were to have me enter as a resident -- that is technically unable to do missions work. We'll sort out the kind of work I can do on that side of the big pond. Also we are to go to Spain when Kerry gets his visa. I will return to Chicago when my visa is ready and pick it up. So time wise we are back on track for a departure sometime in June. Suddenly everything is on and urgent, but this feels better than a quagmire. Jetting back and forth between Madrid and Chicago sounds insane, but our boss said "welcome to missions." My friend L said it might be good because I will know of things I really can't get and really want after a couple months in Spain, so I can do a Walmart run in Chicago.

Crazy.

D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home